The ideal antivirus software is the one that offers the maximum degree of malware protection with no effect on system performance and comes at a reasonable price.
Selecting an antivirus product that completely satisfies your needs is a significant challenge since there are so many of them now offered. On the lookout for the best price/quality ratio, one should consider multiple criteria. Which attributes are must haves and which ones are excessive? What’s the difference between premium and free AV suites? Find the answers in our detailed guide.
Characteristics of a Great Antivirus
Modern antivirus suites have an assortment of features. You may quite logically presume that the more features you’re offered, the greater the program is. However, a number of them are unnecessary; they also could conflict with other programs and slow down the machine, which harms the overall functionality. There are only five core features that make a good antivirus:
- Malware protection is the major feature of any antivirus. The huge majority of current AV tools fight with different kinds of malware, not just computer viruses. Check against what particular kinds of a threat the applications are effective. The ideal antivirus software options shield from ransomware, spyware, adware, and other innovative forms of malware.
- Malware database. Any fantastic antivirus has a personal database of the previously detected threats. It recalls how malware and viruses used to act before, which helps it identify new similar risks more efficiently.
- Auto-updating. The significance of this attribute can hardly be overestimated. An antivirus is a sort of software that gets outdated faster than any other product. Regular updating is a mandatory measure that helps to decrease the number of software vulnerabilities, ensuring first-class protection.
- Firewall. That’s one of the most useful features around. It protects you from hacker attacks. Commonly, a firewall can be obtained as part of the default tools of Windows OS but having it incorporated into an antivirus is fine anyway.
- File shredder. You may know about the fact that deleted files can be restored in the majority of cases. But when it comes to malware and viruses, we do not want them to be revived. A file shredder is an intelligent feature that eliminates files forever.
There may be some other helpful features, like a built-in password manager or parental control. They include convenience, and several users are enthusiastic about getting them incorporated into the AV suite. But they’re not directly linked to the caliber of malware protection.